CALL US: 301-605-7316
1026 Rockville Pike, Rockville MD 20852
CALL US: 240-582-7526
2426 University Blvd.Adelphi, MD 20783 US
CALL US: 240-412-0026
11701 Central Ave. Waldorf, MD 20601 US

Documents in Prince George & Montgomery County

Rockville Auto Tag & Title is your convenient solution to auto tag and title registration in the Rockville, Maryland, area. We make it easy for you to title and register your vehicles. Visit our office today for speedy service.
Title for Used Vehicles
To title and register your newly purchased used vehicle, you will need to submit the following documents along with payment for taxes and fees:
Proof of Ownership
You must submit the vehicle's current title that has been properly assigned to you. Note that if the title was issued in Maryland, it can be used as your application form for titling and registering the vehicle. A registration document and bill of sale may be submitted as proof of ownership ONLY if the vehicle is from a state that does not issue a title as proof of ownership.
Application Form
If the vehicle's current title was issued in Maryland, use it as your application form by completing the section entitled Application for Title and Registration. If not, use the Application for Certificate of Title form #VR-005. Be sure to include your insurance information. Your policy must conform to Maryland's minimum liability insurance requirements.
Proof of Purchase Price
This should be a bill of sale signed by both the buyer(s) and seller(s). The bill of sale must be notarized if the following conditions apply:
  • The Vehicle Is Less than 7 Years Old
  • The Purchase Price Is at Least $500 below the Book Value
  • The New Owner (Buyer) Wants to Base the Excise Tax Calculation (6% of the Vehicle's Value) on the Sale Price rather than the Book Value.
Odometer Disclosure Statement
If the vehicle has a Maryland title or an out-of-state title, the odometer reading can be recorded and attested to in the section entitled Assignment of Ownership. You also can submit the MVA's Odometer Disclosure Statement form #VR-197.
Out of State Title - proof of ownership in Rockville, MD
Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate
The Maryland State Police form certifies that your vehicle meets Maryland safety standards. It is valid for up to 90 days from the date issued.

Under certain circumstances, additional information and/or forms may be required:
Lien Information
If you borrowed money to buy the vehicle, the lien information may need to be recorded on the application. The MVA form entitled Security Interest Filing form #VR-217 must be used if a second lien is placed against the title.
Lien Release
If the existing title indicates that a lien was placed against it, you must submit a lien release. For a vehicle that was titled in Maryland, this could be a properly completed and signed Maryland Security Interest Filing (SIF) or a signed letter from the lien holder specifically identifying the vehicle and stating that the lien has been released.

If the vehicle is currently titled in another state, you may submit a signed letter of release from the lien holder or you may have the lien holder sign the title indicating that the lien has been released.
Power of Attorney
If someone other than you, the new owner, is signing the titling forms, this document is required.

Moving to MD

When filing your registration, Please Bring the following:
  • Original title to vehicle: (Note) we will send a letter to your lien holder to have the title Sent to our office so we can help you with the MD tax credit.
  • Lender information (if applicable)
  • Maryland insurance
  • Maryland State Safety Inspection
  • We will provide all the MVA documents need. So No need to stress we will save you time to make this transition easy.
The State of Maryland requires that all vehicles be registered within 60 days of moving to the state. As long as you register your vehicle within 60 days you will qualify for the Maryland excise tax. If you paid 6% or more in that state you are moving from you will be charged a flat $100 tax. If the state you are moving from charged less than 6% then you deduct the percent from 6% and pay the difference. (Example- Virginia charges 4% sales tax. If you are moving to MD from VA you will pay 2% sales tax of the retail value).

If you do not register your vehicle within 60 days of moving to Maryland, you will be charged 6% sales tax on retail value of your vehicle (The MVA uses to value all automobiles and trucks).

Contact us today in Rockville, Maryland, for quick vehicle registration.